For the Schnitzel:
For the Mushroom Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms a mixture of button and chanterelle
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves only
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 dash dried marjoram
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Pound pork loin to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick – but not paper thin – between two sheets of plastic wrap. Season with salt and pepper. Beat eggs in a bowl. Dust pork with flour on both sides. Dip in beaten eggs. Coat with breadcrumbs, patting them to ensure they stick. Refrigerate.
- Make sauce: Heat butter and onions in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in mushrooms and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, herbs, red wine and beef broth. Simmer until sauce is reduced by half. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large fry pan. Carefully add pork and fry on high heat, using a screen to prevent splattering. Turn and continue frying just until both sides are golden brown. Remove to paper towels. Drizzle with mushroom sauce and serve immediately.