- 1 cup Quark room temperature (or ¾ cup cream cheese with ¼ cup whipping cream)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Maintal Black Cherry Fruit Spread
- 1 lb fresh sweet cherries pitted or use Morello cherries
- Bring eggs, butter and Quark to room temperature (2-3 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Grease 9-10 inch springform pan.
- Prepare cake layer by creaming together butter and ⅔ cup sugar until well combined. Add 2 eggs, beating well. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, beating well to combine. Pour into springform pan, pushing batter up the sides of the pan slightly to create a crust.
- Prepare cheesecake layer by creaming together Quark and ½ cup sugar until well combined. Add egg, beating thoroughly (about 3 minutes). Pour cheesecake layer into the pan, keeping the cheesecake layer contained by the cake crust.
- Drop the Maintal Fruit Spread over the cheesecake layer by small spoonfuls. The fruit spread will not completely cover the cheesecake layer, so try to space it out evenly.
- Arrange the fresh cherries on top in three concentric circles, starting at the outside edge and working towards the center. The very center will be clear of cherries to make the cake easier to cut.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the edge of the cake is firm and starting to brown. The center of the cake will be a little loose but will continue cooking as it cools. Cool cake completely in the springform. When cool, run a thin silicone or rubber spatula around the side to loosen the cake from the pan, then pop the springform. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.