Kohlrabi and potato gratin with a ham, breadcrumb and hazelnut topping.
- 2/3 pound kohlrabi 300 g
- 2/3 pound potatoes 300 g
- 1 medium egg
- 5/8 cup low-fat milk 150 ml
- 1 ounces Black Forest Prosciutto smoked ham thinly sliced, 30 g
- 1 slice whole grain toast
- 1/2 ounce hazelnuts 15 g
- 1 tsp butter softened
Recipe courtesy of essen-und-trinken.de
- Peel the kohlrabi, cut into quarters and then cut into thin round slices. Peel the potatoes and cut into thin slices. Pre-cook potatoes and kohlrabi in boiling salted water for 5 minutes, then drain. Let stand in colander to drain well.
- Whisk the egg and milk, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cut Black Forest Prosciutto into pieces, about one inch. Spread kohlrabi, potatoes and smoked ham in a baking dish (about 25 x 18 cm, or 7 x 10 inches ) in layers, pour egg and milk combination over the top. Bake in a hot oven at 400 degrees C (200 degrees F) on the middle rack for 15 minutes.
- Toast bread in toaster and grate finely. Chop nuts coarsely and mix with the bread crumbs and butter. Sprinkle over the casserole and bake for another 10-15 minutes.