- 6 eggs
- 9 oz sugar
- 9 oz peeled and shredded carrots
- 9 oz ground almonds
- 2 tbsp brandy or rum
- 1-1/2 tbsp potato starch
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- breadcrumbs for the pan
For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180°C). Separate the eggs. Beat the egg yolks with the sugar until fluffy. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually stir the shredded carrots and almonds into the frothy egg yolk mixture. Add the alcohol, potato starch, cinnamon and lemon juice and stir. Carefully fold in the egg whites.
- Grease a 11 inch diameter springform pan, and scatter breadcrumbs on the bottom and sides. Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Mix the powdered sugar with the cocoa, and stir in 1 ½ tablespoons of hot water, stirring until smooth and thick. Beat in the melted butter.
- When the cake has cooled, glaze with the chocolate icing.
- Preparation time 30 minutes (plus baking time)