These delicious cookies are decorative but more importantly very scrumptious and instantly add a romantic touch to your selection of Christmas cookies.
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup superfine sugar 125 g
- 2 cups ground almonds 250g
- finely grated zest of 1 organic unwaxed lemon
- confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg beaten, for the glaze
- 5-1/2 ounces confectioner's sugar 150 g
- water or lemon juice to mix
- M&M's or similar colorful chocolate candy
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl combine egg yolks and sugar with an electric whisk for 1 minute until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and lemon zest to make a firm dough.
- Generously sprinkle a sheet of non-stick baking parchment with confectioner's sugar and roll out the dough. Using a heart-shaped pastry cutter, stamp out as many shapes as you can (re-rolling the trimmings to make more cookies) and place on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking parchment.
- Mark the outside edge of each heart with the prongs of a fork and brush with egg wash. Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden-brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the confectioner's sugar with enough water or lemon juice to create a thick icing. Ice the center of each heart and decorate with colorful chocolate candies such as M&M's and leave to set.