Linsensuppe mit Schweinefleisch
A healthy dish of lentils and vegetables with lean smoked pork from the shank and delicious spices and herbs. A wonderful dish that warms you up very comfortably during the cold months.
- 1 lb brown lentils
- 2 smoked pork shanks cooked
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 small celeriac diced
- 1 leek diced
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon butter
- fresh thyme and chopped parsley
- salt and pepper
Recipe courtesy of Peter Schaffrath, Executive Chef Hay Adams Hotel, Washington DC
- Pick over lentils and wash.
- Sauté all vegetables for about 5 minutes. Add stock, smoked pork shanks and lentils. Bring to a full boil.
- Reduce heat and cook at low heat for 1/2 hour.
- Take out the pork shanks, remove the meat from the bone and cut into small pieces.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. Present in soup bowls and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and thyme.