If you want to engage in some culinary labor of love, try this Love Cake recipe from Austria, made with ground cashew nuts and almonds and spiced up with cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and rose water. If you don't have the heart shaped cake forms, shape the cake in any form you like.
- 8 eggs
- 12 oz sugar 350 g
- 8-1/2 oz wheat flour 250 g
- 14 oz cashew nuts unsalted, 400 g
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1/2 tsp lemon peel rubbed
- 1 pinch cloves
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rose water
- drop of almond extract
- 1 pinch sugar for decoration
- butter for brushing
Recipe adapted from ichkoche.at
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks. Finely chop the cashews. Cut the vanilla in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds.
- In a bowl, beat the egg yolks with the powdered sugar together until fluffy and then add the chopped nuts. Add the ground cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon peel, and vanilla. Add maple syrup, rose water, and a little almond.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of sugar until stiff and folds gently.
- Choose a suitable baking pan and line with baking paper or brush it with generously melted butter. Then add the batter to the baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for about 60-75 minutes until the cake is golden brown, but still juicy and moist. Allow the cake to cool in the baking pan and then cut into serving pieces.
For an even juicier and tastier cake, add more butter and preserved pumpkin.