Biskuit Nougat Roulade
A cake for the accomplished amateur pastry chef, this marzipan nougat roll is delectably nutty, sweetened by apricot glaze and visually very attractive.
For the dough:
For the almond cream:
- 2 pieces Niederegger Marzipan Weissbrot white marzipan 4 oz each
- 3-1/2 tbsp Jamaica rum 50 ml
- 7 tbsp milk 100 ml
For the nougat filling:
- 6 oz Niederegger Nougat Feinherb semi-sweet
- 13-1/2 oz whipping cream 400 ml
For the glaze:
- 7 tbsp apricot jam 100 ml
- 1 tbsp sugar
Recipe courtesy of Niederegger
- Preheat oven to 375 Fahrenheit. Cover baking sheet with wax paper.
- Beat eggs until frothy. Add sugar and beat for about 4 min. Beat in the flour. Mix 3 tbsp of the dough with the cocoa powder. Put in the freezer bag. Spread the rest of the dough onto the cookie sheet. Cut a corner of the freezer bag and add dots of the cocoa dough onto the spread dough.
- Using a tooth pick or the tip of a knife draw lines through the dots. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle a second sheet of wax paper with the extra 3 tbsp. sugar and invert the cake sheet onto it. Brush the wax paper with cold water and gently peel off. Roll the biscuit cake.
- Chop the marzipan, add rum and milk and puree.
- Heat the nougat over low heat. Beat the cream until stiff peaks form. Add 2 tbsp of the cream to the nougat. Then carefully mix in the rest of the whipped cream. Unroll the biscuit cake and spread with the marzipan cream. Spread the nougat cream over the marzipan mixture, leaving a 2 inch space around the edge. Roll up the biscuit cake and chill for 6 hours. Heat the jam with with the sugar and glaze the roll.