This dish was served at the German embassy in Washington, DC at German Unity Day celebration on October 3rd. The flavor of marinated matjes herring is complemented by German dill pickles, and a smooth, creamy taste of mayonnaise and vanilla yogurt.
- 2 lbs marinated Matjes Herring in jars, canned or fresh from the specialty grocer
- 1 green apple Grannie Smith
- 1 medium size white onion
- 1 can German dill pickles
- 1 cup premium mayonnaise
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt
- freshly chopped parsley or dill
Recipe courtesy of Design Cuisine, VA
Soak matjes herring for 1 hour in cold water. Drain the herring and slice into 1 inch pieces.
Cut the white onion into fine slices. Peel apple and cut into slices. Cut dill pickles into small slices.
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and vanilla yogurt, mix well.
Add freshly chopped parsley to garnish and salt and pepper to taste.