Obazda is a traditional Bavarian dish consisting of Camembert cheese, butter, paprika and onions. It is used as a spread on bread or pretzels. There are many varieties of this dish and almost as many names (in Franconia it is known as Gerupfter)
- 4 ounces Philadelphia cream cheese Dopplerahm-Frischkäse
- 4 ounces camembert cheese ...from the Allgäu, can also be Cambozola
- 1-1/4 ounces butter
- 6-8 spoonfuls dark German beer
- 1 large onion
- salt and pepper to taste
Recipe courtesy of food-from-bavaria.de
- Peel onion, cut in half and chop one half into very small cubes.
- Mash camembert with a fork and mix with cream cheese, cubed onions, butter and beer.
- Cut other onion half into rings. Garnish Obazda with onions and season on top with paprika, pepper and salt.