You may not be able to spit-roast your chicken at home, but you can still get that traditional flavor, crispy skin, and moist, tender meat!
- 1 whole chicken about 3.5 pounds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika sweet
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 pinch ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp majoram
- 1 pinch ground rosemary
- 2 tbsp butter
- Wash the whole chicken inside and out, and thoroughly towel dry.
- Mix the herbs and spices in a bowl. Rub the chicken inside and out with the spice mixture.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish filled with 1/2 in of water. Cut the butter into small pats, and place on top of the chicken. Roast at 325 degrees for about one hour, or until done. Baste with the pan juices several times during the roasting, every 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with Pommes Frites (french fries) and radish and a German pretzel or with potato dumplings and red cabbage.