Apple cake recipe with rum and raisins from Germany's capital city of Old Berlin.
- 2 cups sugar
- 14 tbsp butter
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups wheat flour
- grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2.2 lb apples
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp rum
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200° C).
- Beat 1 cup of sugar with butter until fluffy, and then stir in two eggs. Gradually mix in the flour and the lemon peel.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap it in foil and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Peel and quarter the apples and remove the seeds. Cut into slices and drizzle with lemon juice.
- Soak the raisins in the alcohol.
- Roll out 2/3 of the dough thinly on a floured surface and place in a greased springform pan (10" or 26 cm diameter). Press the edges up part way up the sides.
- Distribute the apple slices on the dough, overlapping one another. Spread the raisins and the remaining sugar over the apple slices.
- Roll out the remaining 1/3 of the dough and cut into strips about 3/8" or 1 cm wide. Place the strips to form a lattice on top of the apples.
- Separate the remaining egg. Whisk the egg yolk and brush over the pastry lattice.
- Bake the cake at 400°F (200° C) for about 45 minutes. Once the cake has cooled completely, dust it with powdered sugar before serving.
- Preparation time: 35 minutes (plus baking and cooling time)