A German version of classic onion soup supports the stock with lager beer and tops it with chives, Emmenthaler cheese and croutons.
- 1 lb yellow onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 apple
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
- 1 bunch fresh chives chopped
- 5 tablespoons Emmenthal cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons croutons optional
- Halve, peel and thinly slice the onions. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onions and sauté until onions turn translucent.
- Quarter, core, peel and thinly slice the apple. Combine it with the onions and sauté for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the flour, then the beef stock and beer. Season to taste with marjoram, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Before serving sprinkle the soup with chives, grated Emmenthal and/or croutons.