Zwiebelkuchen with Allgäu Emmentaler
A simple onion, cheese, and savory custard tart, suitable for breakfast, brunch, or dinner.
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup white onion sliced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup grated German Emmentaler cheese such as Allgäu
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1 pie crust shell thawed, 9-inch
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cook bacon over medium high heat until cooked through. Remove bacon strips and add sliced onions to hot pan. While onions cook over medium heat, cut bacon strips into small pieces. Once sliced, add bacon back to pan and continue cooking until onions are soft and fragrant. Allow onions and bacon to cool.
- Beat eggs and combine with sour cream, parsley, cheese, nutmeg, pepper and salt.
- Fill rolled dough with onions and bacon. Pour the egg cream mixture over the onions and bacon. Bake at 400°F for 25-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.