Pan-seared goose and sauerkraut infused with wine, brandy-soaked plums and the bold flavors of garlic, ginger, and juniper berries. Served with crispy potato pancakes.
- 6 ounces dried plums about 1-1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup German brandy such as Dujardin VSOP *
- 5-6 pound goose defrosted and cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 clove garlic split
- 1 clove garlic sliced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 bottle dry German Riesling such as Furst Muller-Thurgau 2000 or Basserman-Jordan dry Riesling 1999, 12 ounces
- 3 large bay leaves
- 12 juniper berries slightly crushed
- 1 inch peeled ginger thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 cups Hengstenberg Bavarian Style Sauerkraut rinsed in 2 changes of water and drained**
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries optional
- 1 package Panni Potato Pancake Mix *** 6.5 oz
Recipe courtesy of Norma Fried, Denver, CO
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Toss dried plums with brandy in small bowl. Set aside.
- Remove all visible fat from goose pieces, pat dry. Rub all over with garlic clove and salt and pepper to taste. Score skin. Place a large, sauté pan over medium high heat. If not non-stick, film pan with oil. When hot, sear goose pieces skin side down until browned. Turn, and brown flesh side 2 to 3 minutes. Remove with tongs and pour off all but a thin film of fat. (Reserve rendered fat for later or another recipe.)
- Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add plums with their liquid, wine, bay leaves, sliced garlic clove, juniper berries and ginger. Cook over high heat until liquid is reduced by one-half. Add sauerkraut, and cherries, if using. Place duck pieces on top and transfer pan to oven. Cover partially and cook until goose is fork-tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, testing after 1 1/4 hours. Return pan to burner. Uncover and cook over medium heat until most of the sauce is absorbed.
- Potato Pancakes. While goose is cooking, prepare mix according to package directions. Brown pancakes on both sides in reserved goose fat, or vegetable oil. Serve with Pan-Seared Goose.
Alternative brands: * Dujardin VSOP, Weis, Scheibel, Goethe Brandy ** Appel-Frenz, Gundelsheim, Hainich, Alfred Paulsen, Kuehne *** Dr. Knoll, Kartoffelland, Mecklenberger, Pfanni