German party sandwich ideas from Roz Denny 'Modern German Cooking.' German breads, meats and cheese make a party sandwich platter with garnishes.
For the bread, use a variety of German breads such as:
- Whole Rye Bread Katenbrot
- Wholegrain bread Vollkornbrot
- Sunflower Seed bread
- Three Seed Bread Mehrkornbrot
- Crispbreads Knäckerbrot
For the sandwich contents:
- Black forest ham
- variety of German cheeses
- fresh herbs
- pickled vegetables
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Cooking
- Cut bread into decorative shapes, or alternatively buy the breads as cocktail rounds.
- Spread each piece of bread with butter and layer with German cheeses such as Butter cheese (Butterkäse), Tilsit, Emmentaler, Brie, Camembert or Bavarian Bleu cheese.
- Add various other toppings such as lettuce leaves, Black Forest ham, prosciutto, hard-boiled eggs, cooked white German asparagus, herrings and German mustard.
- Pickled red cabbage makes a decorative garnish, as do any of the German pickled vegetables. A sprig of fresh dill or parsley and some ground black pepper adds a nice touch.