- 1 large watermelon
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 organic lemon or lime
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups brown sugar
- ½-¾ inch fresh ginger peeled
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 8 cloves
- 8 allspice seeds
Recipe adapted from Utopia.de
- Remove the red watermelon pulp for anoth, leang about one centimeter of rind.
- Remove the dark green, bitter outer rind with a sharp knife or peeler.
- Cut the light green rind into bite-sized pieces. Do the same with the red pulp.
- Mix these together in a large bowl with the salt and juice of half a lemon. Let everything soak overnight under a kitchen towel.
- Rinse the bowl briefly, then place in a saucepan. Add water to the saucepan until the bowl is just covered.
- Bring to a boil, and let simmer gently for 15 minutes. Strain the contents of the bowl, reserving the liquid.
- Cut the remaining ½ lemon into thin slices. Do the same with the peeled ginger. Coarsely grin the cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
- Mix a quarter of the reserved watermelon cooking liquid with the balsamic vinegar, sugar and ground spices. Bring to a boil.
- Add the melon cubes and let the brew simmer over low heat for about 50 minutes. The rind show look glassy.
- Fill sterilized jars with the hot rind mixture and close them immediately. Let them rest for at least two to three weeks.
- Serve as a sweet and sour accompaniment or side dish.