A fried egg is served on a bed of thin fried potatoes (or grated potato pancakes), sliced ham, cherry tomatoes and Gherkins and sprinkled with chives
- 3/4 lbs potatoes about 2 large potatoes
- 3 tbsp clarified butter or ghee calkled Butterschmalz in German
- 2 eggs medium size
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup German gherkins or barrel pickles
- 4 slices cooked ham or use Black Forest Schinken
- Wash potatoes and cook unpeeled for 30-45 min.
- Drain and rinse potatoes with cold water. Peel and thinly cut potatoes lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices or thinner.
- Fry potato slices in 2 tbsp. of clarified butter until golden brown.
- Fry eggs in 1 tbsp. clarified butter sunny side up
- Cut tomatoes and gherkins lengthwise into thin slices.
- Remove potato slices from pan, pat dry. Place onto plate and add slices of ham, cherry tomatoes and gherkins.
- Add fried eggs and sprinkle cut and rolled chives on top
Using potato pancakes
- Peel raw potatoes, wash and coarsely them with grater.
- Put grated potatoes into pan with hot clarified butter, flatten with spatula and fry as instructed above
- To save time, use potato pancake mix