A vegan twist on a food we all love.
- 7/8 cups multi-colored quinoa
- 2-1/8 cups water
- 1 tsp agave
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 nori seaweed sheets
- 1/2 cup tofu
- rapeseed oil
- soy sauce
- 6 spinach leaves
- several strips of carrot
- several pickle strips
- several sprigs of chive
Recipe courtesy of Das BIOFACH Kochbuch Vegane Rezepte von Mayoori Buchhalter
- Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a pot, with a dash of salt. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the quinoa has soaked up all of the water. Add agave and rice vinegar, stirring well. Allow the mixture to cool.
- Slice the tofu into strips. In a small skillet, fry the tofu in the rapeseed oil until crispy. Remove from the pan and douse in soy sauce.
- Place the spinach leaves in a colander. Pour boiling water over the leaves to soften them. Blanch the carrot strips for about one minute.
- Center one sheet nori on a bamboo sushi mat. Place one third of the quinoa on the seaweed. Spread it out until ¾ of the seaweed is covered, leaving ¼ exposed.
- Place 2 spinach leaves, a tofu strip, carrot and pickle strips, and 2-3 chive sprigs on the quinoa mixture. With the help of the bamboo sushi mat, form a roll. Spread water onto the ¼ open nori side to help seal the roll. Make 2 more rolls in this manner.
- Cut each roll into 6-8 pieces. Serve with soy sauce.