A classic German potato salad, dressed with vinegar, bacon, shallots and herbs instead of mayonnaise.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 4 slices slab bacon cut into small dice
- 3 fresh shallots finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 cup prepared chicken bouillon or broth
- 8 Yukon Gold potatoes peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
In a medium sauté pan, add 1 teaspoon vegetable oil and cook bacon over medium heat until soft. Add shallots and cook until transparent.
Remove pan from heat; stir in vinegar. Add parsley, mustard powder, chicken bouillon, and sea salt and freshly ground whole black peppercorns to taste.
Boil potatoes until done but firm; drain. Add vinegar mixture to warm potatoes in a large bowl. Toss well and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Add 1/3 cup vegetable oil and mix well again. Adjust seasoning; serve at room temperature.