A colorful red cabbage salad for the buffet table that’s hearty enough to be a vegetarian meal.
Rotkohlsalat mit Räucherkäse
- 1 lb German pickled red cabbage drained well
- 1/2 small onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 small green pepper cored and sliced thinly
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tblsp rapeseed oil
- 5 oz Bavarian smoked cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- green lettuce
- croutons optional
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Cooking
- Put the cabbage into a large bowl and toss in the sliced onion, green pepper and poppy seeds. Season to taste then mix in the oil.
- Cut the cheese into small cubes and mix lightly in the bowl.
- Line a platter with salad leaves and pile on the cabbage salad. Add croutons if desired.