One of the most popular German summer desserts, this recipe combines the flavors and textures of several fresh summer berries. Serve in dessert glasses with vanilla sauce, whipped cream, or ice cream.
Region Bremen, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Schleswig-Holstein
- 2 lb selection of summer berries strawberries,raspberries, red currants, blueberries, pitted cherries
- 6 oz superfine sugar
- grated zest of 1 orange or 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Foods
- Prepare the berries. Hull the strawberries and if necessary cut in half. Strip the red currants from the stalks with a fork.
- Mix with the other fruits of your choice in a bowl with the sugar and grated zest. Cover. Leave for at least 6-8 hours in the fridge to steep until the juices run out.
- Strain into a small saucepan. Mix the arrowroot or cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Bring the juices to the boil then stir briskly into the cornstarch. Return to the pan and simmer, stirring, until thickened.
- Mix the juices with the fruits, then divide between 6-8 dessert dishes. Chill until ready to serve.