Short butter cookies with browned butter to mimic the sandy shores of Lüneburger Heide.
Region Northern Germany
Adapted from Spoonfuls of Germany by Nadia Hassani
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and let it cook on medium heat until browned.
- Remove the butter from the heat and let it cool first at room temperature and then in the fridge until it is solid again.
- Put the cooled butter in a bowl and mix for about 30 seconds until it is creamy and fluffy.
- Mix the flour with the baking powder. Slowly add the sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, milk and flour while mixing. Mix well but not too long.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and continue kneading with your hands. Shape two long strings from the dough, each with a diameter of about 2 inches (5 cm). Let these strings rest in the refridgerator for at least 30 minutes until they have hardened.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F (180° C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the dough strings into slices about ¼-inch or 1 cm thick and place each slice on the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on the size and thickness of your cookies.
- Remove the cookies from the oven when they are almost cooked in the middle, but not completely. Let the cookies cook a little on the baking sheet before you remove them.
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for about a week.