Discover the versatility of sauerkraut and add a healthy touch to your pizza with the following tasty supper treat. Perfect for those cool fall evenings! We suggest using German imported prosciutto or Black Forest Ham but salami may be substituted.
- 1 lb package bread mix or ready made pizza crust
- 1 onion sliced thinly into rings
- 1/2 lb German Sauerkraut drained and rinsed
- 4 oz German imported Black Forest Schinken thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato sliced thinly
- 3 oz Bavarian Emmental cheese coarsely grated
- dried oregano or marjoram
- freshly ground black pepper
Recipe courtesy of Roz Denny, Modern German Cooking
- Prepare the bread mix according to package instructions. Roll out on a lightly floured board to a think rectangle large enough to fit a shallow lightly oiled baking tray (10 x 12 inches). Lightly grease the tray or line base with parchment paper. Or use ready made pizza crust for convenience.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Scatter the onion rings and sauerkraut evenly on top of the dough making sure they spread right to the edges.
- Add toppings and sprinkle with herbs and seasonings.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. The bread base should be perfectly baked. Let the pizza stand for 5 minutes before cutting into squares.