Sauerkraut creme soup combines sauerkraut, green apples and potatoes, accented by cream, apple cider, and whole grain bread croutons.
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 medium apple grated
- 1 medium yellow-flesh potato peeled and diced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups sauerkraut with liquid
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 tbsp lemon juice or the juice from 1 medium lemon
- 2 cups white cabbage juice store bought
- pumpernickel bread croutons
Recipe courtesy of Chef Olaf Mertens
- In a large stockpot, over medium-high heat, add the oil and sauté the onion, apple, and potato for a few minutes. Add the white wine and reduce by half. Whisk in the flour until ýou have a smooth paste.
- Add the sauerkraut, bay leaves, and vegetable stock. Reduce heat to medium. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate pot, or in the microwave, warm the cream then add to the soup. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Purée the soup, then pass it through a fine sieve. Add the caraway. Just before serving, add apple cider, lemon, and cabbage juice to give the soup a little extra kick. Garnish with croutons.