- 10 oz German Sauerkraut 280 gr.
- 9 oz speck or bacon chopped, (250 g)
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 large garlic clove crushed
- 4-1/4 cups cold water (1 liter)
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 4.5 oz smoked sausage sliced or chopped, (about 125 g)
- 5 oz sour cream (142 ml)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Rinse the Sauerkraut in cold water and leave to drain.
- Place Sauerkraut, onion, garlic and cold water in a large saucepan with seasoning. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fry the chopped bacon in a deep frying pan until the fat starts to run. Stir in the paprika and mix into the Sauerkraut mixture. Return to a gentle simmer for another 15 minutes then add the dill and sausage of your choice. Stir in the cream, check the seasoning and reheat until just on the point of boiling. Serve with rye bread.