This wonderful Krautspaetzle is served at German fairs and homes, and is a traditional dish from Schwabia.
Recipe courtesty of Bechtle
- Cook the sauerkraut for about 15 minutes with juniper berries, bay leaf and white wine. (Don't let it burn!)
- Cook the spaetzle al dente in boiling salted water.
- Melt three tablespoons of butter in a large pan. Sauté the chopped onion and about 1 cup of diced bacon. (Be careful with the amount of bacon, depending on its saltiness.)
- When the bacon is nice and crunchy, add the cooked spaetzle to the same pan and cook until just a bit golden. Add the cooked sauerkraut and stir well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving, garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Fry up the sausages and serve on top of the spaetzle.