Prepare a log of this savory shortbread and freeze it for up to one month. Slice and bake them as you need them –- they're great with beer or cocktails.
Servings 48 pieces
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1 clove garlic squeezed through a garlic press
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- pinch ground red pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces German Emmentaler cheese finely shredded
- 4 ounces German Black Forest ham such as the Abraham brand, finely diced
- Combine butter, garlic, salt and cayenne in a large bowl and beat at medium speed with a mixer until well combined. Beat in flour. Stir in Emmentaler and ham. Turn dough out onto wax paper and shape into 2 6-inch logs. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze up to one month.
- When ready to bake, allow the logs to thaw on the counter for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut logs into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place slices on baking sheet and bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack to cool.