Rührei mit Krabben
This is a quick and easy shrimp recipe, and makes a great brunch dish. It tastes best with a thick slice of fresh, wholesome bread.
- 1 lb very small to miniature unshelled raw shrimp or 1/2 lb. cooked, shelled, and deveined shrimp
- 8 eggs
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter plus additional butter for spreading
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 4 slices bread
Recipe courtesy of Nadia Hassani, Spoonfuls of Germany
- If using raw shrimp, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Drop the shrimp in into the water, reduce the heat, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, or until pink. Drain, shell, devein the shrimp, set aside.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, add salt and pepper, and beat lightly with a fork. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Increase the heat just a notch and slowly pour in the eggs. As soon as they begin to thicken, stir with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Remove from the heat and add the chives.
- Spread butter on the bread. Divide the shrimp and eggs into 4 equal portions and heap the eggs on one half of each slice of bread and the shrimp on the other half. Serve at once.