For the pretzels:
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/8 cup warm water 105 degrees F
- 1-1/3 cups warm water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 5 cups flour
- Water, baking soda
- sea salt
Honey Mustard Dip:
- 5 oz crème fraiche
- 3 tablespoons German honey
- 2 tablespoons German mustard
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Dissolve yeast in 1/8 cup warm water. Stir in 1 1/3 cups warm water, 1/3 cup brown sugar and flour. Beat until smooth. Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Heat oven to 475 degrees F. In a saucepan, measure 2 teapoons baking soda to each cup of water. Place enough to fill the saucepan. Boil soda and water.
- Tear off some dough and roll a pencil shape with your hands. Pick up both ends, cross to form rabbit ears and then twist the ends and pull them back to the rest of the loop.
- Place twisted pretzels in water/baking soda mixture for 15 seconds until the pretzel dough is golden or yellow in color. Then remove the pretzels from boiling water and place onto a salted cookie sheet.
- Salt the top of pretzels with course ground sea salt. Place cookie sheet with pretzels into the oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until pretzel is golden brown.
- For the dip, stir Crème Fraiche, honey and mustard until creamy. Add sugar and salt to taste.
For meat lovers: Add cubed bacon while kneading the dough and bake together until pretzel is golden brown.
For cheese lovers: Do not salt the pretzels, but place a layer of German butter cheese or Bavarian Emmental on top and bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Cheese will turn golden brown.