A novel presentation of German flavors of red cabbage, spaeztle, and Cambozola blue veined cheese, this nutritious and elegant dish could be a vegetarian entree for a holiday meal.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more for the dishes
- 1 package German spätzle 10-1/2 ounces
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded German Tilsiter cheese
- 8 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar German barrel red cabbage 18.3 ounces
- 2 tablespoons lingonberry preserves
- 1/2 cup curry ketchup (such as the Hela Burkhardt or Zeisner brands)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly butter 4 small bowls or cups. To make the Spätzle Gratinée, prepare the spätzle according to the package instructions.
- In a large sauté pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat. Add the spätzle and sauté until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the cream. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Add the Tilsiter and stir until melted.
- Place in the bowls or cups and press down so that the spätzle takes on the shape of the dish. Place on a baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a medium sauté pan over high heat. Add the breadcrumbs and sauté, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- To make the red cabbage, place the cabbage in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the preserves and heat through. If necessary, add a bit of water.
- To make the curry glaze, heat the ketchup with 2 tablespoons of water.
- Place the red cabbage on the center of each serving plate and flatten. Invert the Spätzle Gratinée on top of the cabbage. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs. Top with a Cheese Medallion. Drizzle with the Curry Ketchup Glaze.
For the Cambozola Cheese Medallions:
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs in individual bowls. Slice the Cambozola into 4 equal pieces and place in freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until firm. Dredge the cheese pieces in flour, making certain that they are completely covered. Tap the excess flour from the cheese and dip into the eggwash. Completely cover the eggwashed cheese in breadcrumbs and then tap to remove excess. Repeat the process with other cheese pieces.
- Melt the butter in a small ovenproof sauté pan. Sauté the cheese medallions until they become light golden in color, about 1 minute on each side. Place the pan in the oven and bake until light golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.