Honey gingerbread flavored cake squares topped with crushed hazelnuts, a casual and tasty dessert or after school snack.
- 7 oz butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp German honey
- 4 eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1-1/2 tsp gingerbread spice
- 2 oz candied lemon peel
- 2 oz candied orange peel
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package baking powder Dr. Oetker
- 3 tbsp German honey
- 4 tbsp crushed hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat the butter until creamy, add the sugar and the honey and beat together until smooth.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Mix the flour and the cocoa with the cinnamon, baking soda and the gingerbread spice in a separate bowl and fold it into the egg mixture.
- Add the candied lemon and orange peel and mix together. Lastly, add the milk and incorporate into the mixture.
- Spoon the dough onto the greased baking tray and smooth with a spatula. Put the tray into the preheated oven and let it bake for 30 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven and brush the honey on the warm cake and sprinkle the crushed hazelnuts on top of it.
- When the cake has cooled down slice into squares and serve with a glass of milk.