These simplified German gingerbread squares are brushed with honey and decorated with ground walnuts. A great German Christmas cookie based on traditional Lebkuchen, adapted for the home baker.
- 1-2/3 cups unsalted butter 200g
- 1 cup sugar 125g
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 large eggs
- 4-1/2 cups flour 500g
- 2-1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gingerbread spice Lebkuchengewürz
- 2 oz candied lemon peel 50g
- 2 oz candied orange peel 50g
- 1 cup milk 250 ml
- 1 packet Dr. Oetker baking powder
- 3 tablespoons rapeseed honey
- 4 tablespoons grated hazelnuts
- unsalted butter for cookie sheet
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Beat the butter until fluffy. Add 4 tablespoons of honey and sugar and stir until smooth. Add eggs and combine well.
Blend the flour with the cocoa powder, cinnamon, gingerbread spice and baking powder and combine with butter-egg mixture. Add the candied orange and lemon peel and combine thoroughly. Add the milk and mix until smooth.
Evenly spread out the dough on the buttered cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.
Brush the warm cake with rapeseed honey and sprinkle with grated hazelnuts. Let cool and cut into squares or strips.