Creamy, heavy split pea soup is traditional in Germany. This modern take is a much lighter, more healthful version, with lean German-imported smoked prosciutto, which is available diced, as well as fresh spring peas. It would be an appropriate Abendbrot meal, along with some hearty German bread or a thin cheese sandwich.
- 2 14-1/2-ounce cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups German-imported wide egg noodles
- 1/4 cup halved imported German preserved pearl onions
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas or frozen petite peas
- 1/3 cup imported German diced smoked prosciutto
- 2 tablespoons half and half
Bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil. Add noodles and boil gently, stirring occasionally, until almost soft.
Add pearl onions, peas and prosciutto, and simmer 2 minutes.
Turn heat to low and stir in half and half. Serve.