A quick appetizer of Matjesfilet herring served with blanched apples and onions with a creamy dressing.
Hering mit Frischkäse-Sauce
- 2 apples
- juice of one lemon
- 2 medium onions
- 4 canned Matjesfilet herrings
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp cream
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- dill for garnish
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Wash the apples. Core but do not peel them. Cut into thin slices. Pour lemon juice over the apple slices. Peel the onions and slice into thin rings. Put into boiling water and allow them to sit for 3 minutes.
- Put the Matjes filets onto a plate and garnish with some of the apple and onion slices.
- Mix the cream cheese with the cream and mayonnaise. Add the rest of the apple and onion slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour a little of the sauce over the filets and serve the rest separately. Garnish with dill.