Classic strawberry-rhubarb flavors in a German-style trifle, with layers of meringue, rhubarb cream, and fresh strawberries. As pretty as it is delicious, this trifle perfectly balances sweet and tart flavors.
- 1 lb rhubarb
- 5/8 cup sugar 125g
- 1 cup heavy cream 250 ml
- 1 lb strawberries
- 2-1/2 oz meringues 75g, small and large ones work equally well
- lemon balm leaves for garnish
- Clean, thinly peel and chop the rhubarb stalks. In a saucepan bring the rhubarb and 1/3 cup of sugar to a boil while stirring constantly and cook until very soft, about 7-10 minutes (continue to stir throughout the process). Let the mixture cool down completely.
- Whip the cream until firm and gently fold in the cold rhubarb puree.
- Clean the strawberries, reserving some for garnishing, and slice them. Mix the strawberries with the remaining sugar.
- When using large meringues, break them up into smaller pieces. In 4-6 serving glasses (or a large trifle bowl) layer the meringues, the strawberries and the rhubarb cream. Garnish the trifle with the remaining strawberries and the lemon balm and serve promptly.