Our colorful Stuttgarter Spätzle is pleasing to the eye and the tastebuds and is sure to warm even the most dampened spirits! German comfort food: spaetzle made with ham, red onions, Emmenthaler cheese and wilted mache salad greens.
Region Baden Wuerttemberg
- 2-1/4 cups chopped German Black Forest Ham
- 3/4 cup sliced red onions
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated German Emmentaler cheese
- 3/4 cup blanched fresh or frozen peas
- 3 oz Mache salad greens washed and dried
- 8 oz German spaetzle pasta cooked according to package instructions and drained
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- grated German Emmenthal Cheese to garnish
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, add Black Forest ham and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Add onions and continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until softened, stir in the garlic and continue cooking for one more minute.
- Pour in the cream, stir in the grated cheese and cook until slightly reduced about 1 minute.
- Add peas, Mache and Spaetzle pasta and heat through until Mache greens are just wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with freshly grated Emmentaler cheese, if desired.