A sweet twist on the classic Bavaria boiled sausage salad.
Region Bavaria, Swabia, Franconia
- 1 large white onion peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp pickling liquid or more as needed
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 medium carrots trimmed, peeled, and diced
- 2 large apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 large pickle diced
- 12 oz. bologna, unsliced cubed
- snipped chives
Adapted from Spoonfuls of Germany by Nadia Hassani
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Blanch the onion slices for 1 minute, drain and immerse in ice water. Drain again.
Whisk the oil with the vinegar, pickling liquid, and some salt and pepper to taste.
Toss the blanched onion slices, carrots, apples, pickle and sausage in a large bowl. Mix with the dressing until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper and add more pickling liquid to taste. Refrigerate until serving. Serve sprinkled with snipped chives.