A sweet twist on the classic Bavaria boiled sausage salad.
Region Bavaria, Swabia, Franconia
- 1 large white onion peeled, halved, and thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp pickling liquid or more as needed
- salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 3 medium carrots trimmed, peeled, and diced
- 2 large apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 large pickle diced
- 12 oz. bologna, unsliced cubed
- snipped chives
Adapted from Spoonfuls of Germany by Nadia Hassani
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Blanch the onion slices for 1 minute, drain and immerse in ice water. Drain again.
- Whisk the oil with the vinegar, pickling liquid, and some salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss the blanched onion slices, carrots, apples, pickle and sausage in a large bowl. Mix with the dressing until evenly coated. Season with salt and pepper and add more pickling liquid to taste. Refrigerate until serving. Serve sprinkled with snipped chives.