Süßsauer eingelegter Kürbis
Before the fairly recent renaissance of pumpkin recipes, this classic pickled pumpkin was one of the few well-known recipes and is still a very popular preserve.
- 2 lbs firm pumpkin meat
- 1 cup wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1-2/3 lbs preserving sugar 750 g, or add pectin to regular sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 6-8 whole cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- grated zest of 1 lemon preferably organic
- Cut the pumpkin into large cubes and place it in a large pot. In a smaller pot, bring the water and vinegar to a boil, pour the boiling mixture over the pumpkin pieces, cover and let sit for at least 12 hours.
- Remove the pumpkin cubes, bring the vinegar mixture to a boil, add the sugar and all the spices and boil the pumpkin until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Remove pumpkin again and fill it into large preserving glass jars. Remove the spices from the vinegar-sugar concoction, reduce the liquid through simmering and pour the hot mixture over the pumpkin chunks until they are completely covered. Immediately close the glass jars tightly.