- 3 lbs boneless beef rump roast sirloin tip or bottom round (lean)
- 1/4 cup matchstick strips of celery root
- 1 medium-size carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 medium-size leeks washed, trimmed, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium bunch flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 12 peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice or 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 medium size bay leaf
For the Horseradish Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter 1/2 stick
- 1/2 unsifted all purpose flour
- 1/2 heavy cream
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish well drained
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
For the beef:
- Add celery root, carrot, leeks, parsley, salt, peppercorns, allspice and bay leaf to 2 quarts of water in a Dutch oven. Place uncovered over moderate heat and bring to a rolling boil. Ease the beef into a the pan and return the water to a simmer, skimming it occasionally to remove any scum. Adjust the heat so the water barely simmers, cover, and cook beef for 2 hours or until fork tender. Transfer the beef to a large heated platter, tent with foil and keep warm. Strain the cooking water and reserve.
For the sauce:
- Melt the butter in a medium-size heavy saucepan over low heat. Blend in the flour and cook and stir for 2 minutes. Mix in 2 cups of the reserved beef cooking water. Increase heat to moderate and simmer 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened and smooth. Mix in the cream, horseradish, lemon juice, sugar and pepper. Reduce the heat to low and cook, uncovered, 5 minutes longer, stirring often, until no raw starch taste remains.
- Slice the beef across the grain about 1/4 inch thick and arrange on a large heated platter, overlapping the slices slightly. Or let cool and serve cold. Ladle the sauce into a gravy boat and pass separately.