Kalbs Nierchen im Brotmantel
- Slice onion into fine strips. Cube meat into 1 inch pieces and season with pepper. In a pan, heat 3 Tbsp of oil and sear the meat, half a portion at a time. Remove meat from the pan and separate the juices using a sieve (be sure to reserve the juices in a separate bowl). Add the butter to the pan and sauté the onions in the butter and beef fat mixture until lightly browned. Add the meat back into the pan with the onions and season with salt. Dust with flour and quickly roast. Pour in the port wine, and simmer along with the beef stock and thyme. Simmer half covered on medium heat for about an hour or until the meat becomes tender. Remove the meat, reduce the sauce, and set aside to cool.
- While the meat and sauce cool, carefully clean the kidneys, cut into small pieces, and sear each side in a pan with 2 Tbsp of oil. Once seared, season with pepper, remove from the pan, and set aside. Pour the kidneys and ragout into a large round casserole dish approximately 8 inches in diameter.
- For the dough, chop the beef suet into very fine pieces with a cleaver and combine with flour and 1 Tbsp salt. Then combine in a bowl with approximately 4-1/4 fl oz cold water and knead into a pliant dough. Place the dough on a lightly floured countertop and knead well for 10 minutes. Wrap in foil and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together egg yolks and cream. Roll out the dough to about an eighth of an inch thick. From the dough, cut out a few eighth inch strips. With the help of the egg cream, stick the strips along the top edges of the casserole dish. Brush tops of the dough strips with the egg cream mixture and cut out a large circle from the dough so that it covers the entire top of the dish completely. Fasten the dough circle to the edges by firmly pressing together. You may use the rest of the dough to cut out various shapes to ornament the top of the pie. Finally, in the middle of the pie, cut two crosswise slits about an inch long. Using aluminum foil, create a tent over the top of the pie to prevent the edges from burning.
- Place the pie in oven preheated to 400 F degrees on the lowest rack. Bake for thirty minutes. Once baked through, remove from oven, let the pie rest, then serve.