Traditional vegetable soup featuring whatever's fresh and in season, from the German state of Thuringia, especially delicious with freshly harvested herbs and vegetables of the season.
- 1 lb potatoes
- 2 carrots
- 1 leek
- 1 onion diced finely
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 cups vegetable or meat stock
- 1 bunch fresh marjoram chopped
- 1 oz bacon
- salt and pepper
- Peel the potatoes and slice them thinly. Wash, trim and thinly slice the leek. Peel and trim the carrot, cut into small cubes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add onion and sauté until translucent. Add the other vegetables, sauté for a few minutes, then add the stock. Season to taste with marjoram, salt and pepper. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Dice the bacon and sauté in a dry skillet until slightly crispy. Add the bacon to the soup just before serving.