This wonderful warm salad uses German prosciutto, which is increasingly available in supermarkets and is cured with juniper berries for a delicious, unique flavor. Crisped prosciutto and garlic flavor the vinaigrette that warms the greens and Roquefort blue cheese in this salad adapted from a dish served at SZMANIA's.
- 1/2 tablespoon Bavarian mustard
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup diced German prosciutto
- 3/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup crumbled Roquefort or other blue cheese
- 4 hearts of romaine trimmed
Recipe adapted from Chef Ludger Szmania at SZMANIA's
- First, make vinaigrette: Place mustard in a medium bowl. Whisk in half the oil and half the vinegar until blended. Add remaining oil and vinegar, and whisk until blended. Whisk in water, and season with salt and pepper.
- Next, place prosciutto in a small skillet on medium heat and sauté until browning. Add garlic and brown it for a few seconds. Add vinaigrette and cook just until warm. Meanwhile, loosen each Romaine heart on a salad plate. Sprinkle lettuce with cheese and drizzle with prosciutto and warm dressing. Serve.