Westphalian ham wraps around a Black Forest ham mousse in this appetizer with a built-in handle. Recipe created for Germanfoods.org by Chef Hans Roeckenwagner.
Region North Rhine Westphalia
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 shallot
- 6 ounces butter, divided at room temperature
- 5 ounces smoked German Black Forest ham finely diced
- 16 ounces cooked German Black Forest ham finely diced
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 sprig rosemary leaves only, minced
- 2 tablespoons German horseradish
- 20 slices German Westphalian ham
Created exclusively for GermanFoods.org by renowned German Chef Hans Röckenwagner
For the Mousse:
- Saute chopped garlic and shallot in 1 tablespoon butter. Add smoked Black Forest ham. Brown well and add cooked Black Forest ham. Reduce cream to half, season with rosemary and horseradish. Combine cream mixture and ham mixture, and blend well. Slowly add remaining butter. Cool mousse to room temperature.
For the Lollipops:
- Lay 1 slice of Westphalian ham on a square of plastic wrap. Place 2 teaspoons mousse in center of ham and stick one lollipop stick into it. Carefully wrap ham and plastic around mousse, forming a ball. Twist tightly and place in an empty egg carton to chill, refrigerated, until firm, about 6 hours.