Golden homemade potato pancakes decked out in seasoned parsley sour cream and topped with smoke cured Westphalian ham.
Region North Rhine Westphalia
- 8 ounces Westphalian ham
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- butter or oil for cooking
- 1 cup sour cream
- bunch of parsley
- Peel potatoes and grate into a bowl. Place into a sieve and allow the liquid to drain. All the liquid to sit for a few moments so that the starch drops to the bottom, then drain off the liquid on top.
- Peel the onions and grate. Wash the parsley and chop 2/3 of it. Cut ham into small strips. Mix together the potatoes, onions, eggs and starch and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions.
- Heat butter or oil in a pan and fry the potato cakes until golden brown.
- Mix the sour cream with the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Put the cooked potato cakes onto warm plates, pour over the sour cream mixture and divide the ham strips evenly between the plates. Garnish with parsley.