A wedding soup is a beef broth with ground beef balls, vegetables and "Eierstich". A classic meal starter, served at weddings and Sunday dinner.
Region North Rhine Westphalia
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3/4 cup asparagus green or white
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3/4 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 cup Soup Noodles or Swabian spaetzle
- 3 egg dumplings per serving Eierstich (also called "royale")
- dash of salt
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups beef stock
- Form meat balls from ground beef.
- Cook meat balls in simmering water and beef stock, about 10 min. Add vegetables, salt, possibly a little lovage or Maggi sauce and simmer for 20 more min.
- Cook noodles separately, so that the soup remains clear, and add to soup when done together with the egg dumplings. You can vary the vegetable ingredients, but don't use too many … the broth clarity is to be preserved.
- Add 2-3 Eierstich ("Royale") dumplings to the plate before serving.