A classic meal starter, frequently served at weddings and Sunday dinners.
Region North Rhine Westphalia
- 1 lb beef shank
- 3/4 cup asparagus (if possible white)
- 3/4 cup carrots Möhren
- 3/4 cups cauliflower
- 1/2 cup vermicelli pasta or thin spaetzle
- egg dumplings Eierstich (also called "royale")
- dash of salt
- 6 cups water
- Boil beef shank in water, about 45 min. Add vegetables, salt, possibly a little lovage or Maggi sauce and simmer for 20 more min.
- Cook noodles separately, so that the soup remains clear, and add to soup when done together with the egg dumplings. You can vary the vegetable ingredients, but don't use too many … the broth clarity is to be preserved. If preferred, remove meat from bone before serving or add a few pieces of beef cubes together with the shank.