The classic Wiener Schnitzel, a thin slice of veal coated in breadcrumbs and fried, traditionally served with a lemon slice.
- 1 lb veal fillets pounded thin
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup white bread crumbs you can use Panat or Panko as well
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 lemon
- Season the flattened veal fillets with salt and pepper. Dip the fillets first in the flour, then in the egg mixture and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large skillet until hot (drop a cube of bread in the oil - if it browns, the oil/butter is hot enough). Fry the fillets in batches on each side for about 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove and place in a dish lined with paper towels. Keep fillets warm while you fry the next batch. Serve immediately with lemon slices.