Zerbst is a city in Saxony-Anhalt, in an asparagus growing region. Zerbst hosts and asparagus festival each June, and is naturally the source of many well known asparagus recipes. Among them is Zerbester asparagus soup, which is a cream soup topped with diced hard boiled egg.
Region Saxony Anhalt
- 500 g asparagus
- 1 liter salt water
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp sweet cream
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 3 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
Adapted from Deutsche-Delikatessen.de
- Peel the asparagus and cut into 2-3 cm pieces. Boil the salted water with the sugar and cook the asparagus in it for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus from the water. Set half aside, puree the other half.
- Add the pureed asparagus and top up with more asparagus water until you have a creamy soup. Add the cream and spices. Then add the asparagus pieces to the soup.
- Chop the hard-boiled eggs and mix with the parsley.
- Serve the soup in plates, placing the egg-parsley mixture in the center of each.