Eisbein mit Sauerkraut
The famous Bavarian "Eisbein" is a roasted pork knuckle with crispy skin and juicy meat inside, on a bed of seasoned sauerkraut, served with a pretzel, mustard and/or Bavarian bread dumplings and gravy
Recipe adapted from chefkoch.de
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Wash the pork knuckles and pat them dry. Rub with salt and pepper. Halve the onion.
- In a shallow and wide oven-friendly dish, put 3 tablespoons water. Add the sauerkraut, laying the pork knuckles on top. Sprinkle the onion and seasonings evenly.
- Place a lid on the pot and bake for about 2 hours. Remove the dish from the oven and turn on the grill. Place the pork knuckles on the grill for another 20 minutes to get a crispier texture.
- Serve with a Bavarian pretzel and/or with Bavarian bread dumplings and gravy