These homemade holiday treats are sure to become one of your favorite Christmas cookies. Beautifully wrapped, they also make a great gift.
Servings 50 pieces
- 7 oz honey 200 g
- 2 eggs
- 4-1/2 cups flour plus more for the work surface, 500 g
- 1/2 package baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch allspice
- 7 oz marzipan for baking almond paste, 200 g
- 7 oz chocolate glaze 200 g
- 7 oz confectioner's sugar 200 g
- 2 egg whites
- baking parchment paper
- In an electric mixer beat the sugar, honey and eggs until frothy.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and allspice into the mixture and work all the ingredients until they come together in a smooth dough. Let it rest in the fridge for about 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F(180 degrees C).
- Knead the marzipan, warming it with your hands until it can be shaped easily. Form logs about 4 inch (10 cm) in length and about as thick as a finger.
- Roll out the dough on the lightly floured work surface and cut it into 3x4 inch (8x10 cm) rectangles.
- Wrap the dough around the marzipan logs, then cut the logs into small triangular pieces. Place the pieces onto a cookie sheet lined with baking parchment paper and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Let them cool down on a cookie rack.
- Melt the chocolate glaze in a double boiler. Sift the confectioner's sugar into a bowl and combine it with the egg whites. Coat half the cookies with the chocolate glaze, the other half with the sugar glaze.